Hey! You should know that this product has been discontinued. Here are our current recommended cameras in the Ultra Compact Digital Cameras category.
Canon Powershot SD770 IS
The SD770 is a few years old. Take a look at a newer model instead, like the SD1300. Here's what we had to say about the 770 when it was released in March 2008:
Like the SD790 IS, the SD770 IS couples a 10-megapixel sensor with lens-shift image stabilization, providing for crisp, highly detailed images that will satisfy even the most discerning users. The SD770 IS will save you a little cash too, provided you can handle the 2.5-inch LCD screen (instead of the SD790's 3-inch LCD) and the average 3x optical zoom (instead of the SD890's 5x).
- 10 Megapixels
- 3x optical zoom / 4x digital zoom
- Face detection auto-focus
- Lens-shift Image Stabilization
- Movie mode with sound
- JPEG file format
- ISO 80-1600
- Auto and manual exposure
- 2.5-inch LCD monitor
- Secure Digital card storage (32MB card included)
- Lithium-ion battery
- Part Number: 2601B001
- UPC: 8714574515687
- Release Date: Mar 13, 2008
Shop for SD770 IS Accessories
Canon Powershot SD770 IS Reviews
Canon Powershot SD770 IS Reviews by Digital Camera-HQ Users
- 5.0 out of 5
First let me say that this is the first point and shoot camera I have owned in quite some time. I shoot with DSLR gear (Canon 40D and XTi) and high quality lenses so needless to say when comparing this SD770 IS PowerShot to what I am used too, I am very picky and will notice any lack of performance!
When I received this camera I had it delivered straight from Canon so I never even had the convenience of seeing the camera in-store to test it out or see the size of it and so on.
Compared to what I am used too, this is SMALL! It's a good thing though as I really love the build and layout of this Canon. I noticed that my hands will leave behind smudges and oily residue very easily because of the finish of the camera but this is nothing to worry about as it cleans up quite well with a microfiber cloth.
So here is what I love about the camera:
- It is very stylish! Although I prefer my SLR's, I can say that I would have no problem showing off this little powerhouse!
- It's fast! Starts up very quick and can take the first shot when you need it. The last time I had used point and shoot cameras (2005-2006) they were not as good as this SD770 IS.
- Sharp, clear images and beautiful color and contrast!
- Does a great job minimizing noise when using ISO's up to 800. You will notice the noise appear after ISO 400, however for most users this is definitely not a problem! At 1600 it is quite grainy but even for web sized images and 4x6 prints this should not be much of an issue. I would not hesitate to use the higher ISO's if need be!
-Image Stabilization is a charm! Considering I have to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to get this feature in my lenses for my DSLR's, I am impressed by the IS in this little body. It is OPTICAL and not digital which is very important as well as it works much better and your images will thank you!
-Battery life is excellent! I love the fact it has its own rechargeable battery pack and you can get around 250-300 shots between charges. This is very good!
What I do not like so much about the SD770 IS:
-There isn't much I DON'T like but I will be picky and say that I would love it if it had a better zoom range. My last point and shoot cameras were at least a 10x zoom I believe and of course my current SLR gear is in a whole other class. That being said, it still works very well and for 90% of those who buy these cameras will not have a problem as you can always use your feet to zoom!
- I like to have more control over manual settings but again I am being very picky because this camera DOES have manual settings and they work very well! I enjoy using vivid color and adjusting my ISO as needed as well as the exposure. Not much else to adjust really as you will almost always get beautiful shots unless it is user error!
- comes with a mere 32mb SD card ... typical but hey we all know you need at least 1GB but I recommend getting 2GB or more because you are going to love taking a lot of photos with this amazing camera!
Canon is at the top of their game with their point and shoot cameras. This ELPH is one stunning piece of equipment and anyone who owns it will be very happy. If you want the bigger LCD you may wish to get the SD790 IS but other then this, they seem identical and the 2.5inch LCD is big enough for me on a camera this size.
Buy one, you will not regret it!